Although HAMS.ONLINE is known for working with science and accuracy, our ideas on what to do to keep us sane will provide some much needed diversions and fun during these difficult times.
So, here’s our little handy HAMS guide to things you can be doing that are at least hunting related. If it stops another self-inflicted bowl haircut or someone pouring vegetable oil on their kitchen floor (really!) we’ll have done our job…
The list of ideas we have is long, we are quite imaginative when we need to come up with new features in our system or when we want to entertain you (and us).
So with the amazing people of Huntmag.eu we selected 5 from our list of 18 ideas, so if you enjoyed it, give a go, and read the full list at www.hams.online/blog
1.DEEP CLEAN YOUR SHOTGUN OR RIFLE
Yep, that’s right. You should be cleaning your rifles and shotguns after every hunt or shoot (use). For those of you wanting some pointers check out this video here:
If you are interested in seeing the differences in methods and tools, you should consider watching some tutorials (https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWv5FThmvK/) from the amazing and often scantily clad @brucesshooting (https://www.instagram.com/brucesshooting/).
2. WATCH SOME HUNTING RELATED FILMS/DOCUMENTARIES/SHOWS
If you haven’t already I can highly recommend the following films (and if you want more drop me a line. I have a long list that will keep you going through the lockdown and then some…):
- The Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010) Beautiful, lyrical film
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) Just plain, darn funny
- The Eagle Huntress, Documentary – though some question its veracity it is still an interesting and beautiful film to watch
- Walking Out (2017) Gritty, beautiful film about a father and son bonding during an ill fated hunting trip
And if you haven’t already seen the following shows and are missing a taste of the great outdoors then be sure to check them out:
- Winchester and Drury’s Natural Born
- Jim Shockey’s Outdoor Adventures
3. CLEAN AND HANG UP YOUR TROPHIES
There are always a number of jobs that get put off and I know a lot of you have trophies that have been waiting to go up on the wall for far too long.
This is definitely a job that often gets put off (“I do not want that in my bloody kitchen sink!!!”)
4. READ MORE ARTICLES ABOUT WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT ON HAMS.ONLINE
Come on, it wouldn’t be a HAMS article if there wasn’t a little self promotion. So, go on, go have a look through the articles we’ve already published on our blog (https://hams.online/blog). There’s something for everyone – honest. And if you’d like to see something that’s not there by all means let us know (even better we’d love you to write it).
To start with check out these articles, topics that never age and never go out of fashion:
- What happens if we stop managing wildlife and ban hunting (https://hams.online/en/blog/what-happens-if-we-stop-managing-wildlife-and-ban-hunting)
- The consequences of overshooting and undershooting game populations (https://hams.online/en/blog/the-consequences-of-overshooting-and-undershooting-game-populations)
- Want better antlers and higher populations? (https://hams.online/en/blog/want-better-antlers-and-higher-populations)
5. TRY OUT A NEW GAME MEAT RECIPE
Or try some experimenting for yourself – like how oranges and pheasants go together, or pears and mallards or…
There are some incredible recipes involving game meat and here at HAMS we’re tired of people seeing it as a niche meat. It’s healthy. It’s ethical. It’s tasty. So be sure to try out some new game meat based recipes. You may even discover your inner Gordon Ramsay…
And be sure to check out these amazing chefs on Instagram:
- @letseatwild (https://www.instagram.com/letseatwild/)
- @gamechangerbbq (https://www.instagram.com/gamechangerbbq/)
- @fayregamepursuits (https://www.instagram.com/fayregamepursuits/)
As said, this is just a taster of our longer list, so come visit us and take a look around.
Stay safe – together we can survive this, because we have a job to do. We are the custodians of the countryside and we have wildlife to manage.
For the FULL ARTICLE CLICK ON – https://hams.online/en/blog/the-hams-guide-to-hunting-related-things-to-do-during-the-lockdown